Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I said "No" (and stuck to my guns!!!)

Since starting homeschooling, I've come to realize my time is valuable but also limited.

I recieved a phone call our parish shortly after Christmas (like when we were on break and spending our days sleeping and playing!) asking if I would be able to bake for a upcoming event.

"Of course, I could!" I replied happily and basked in the warm fuzzes you get when you volunteer. Then I went back to playing and having all kinds of Christmas fun!

Fast forward three weeks, I'm going over what needs to happen today and Princess pops up and says, "Tonight is that parish events, aren't you suppose to bring 3 dozen cookies?"

Ummmmm......yes....

Now to find the 2 hours it will take to make cookies (I get, I could have stopped by the store but the request was for homemade cookies).

And then the clean up for these 3 dozens cookies (actually 4 dozens because there would be a small uprising if I didn't leave some for the peanut gallery).

So when did I end up doing the cookies, during the baby's two hour nap. The only two hour nap she had decided to take all week. Everything else that needed to get done (laundry, cleaning, going through the mail, and crossing some items off my to do list) sat on the side lines.

I get it, I did a good thing for my parish but it really stressed me out and made me feel a little further behind than I wanted to.

We were at the girls American Heritage Girl meeting and they had a sign up for a upcoming event. We are unable to attend event since we will be out of town (I thought case closed) but then the leader announced if you are unable to attend you can bring 3 dozen baked goods. Which Princess was more than happy to volunteer for (which translates into afternoon of ME baking with the 10 year old)!

I looked at the calendar, we were leaving that Friday evening out of town. The night before the Boy, has a out of town basketball game and the week is pretty full (not to mention I need to get 6 people ready to get out of town!) 

I told her, "No" -

She begged and pleaded and stated she could use the service hours.

Then I explained to Princess we simply do not have the time needed to commit to this project. There will be other service opportunities and we will act on those when it fits better in our schedule.

And then we walked away and it was such a relief! 
I need to use the word, "no" more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment