Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Open Letter Addressing to The Lady Sitting Behind Me at Mass


Dear Women Sitting Behind Us At Mass, 

It was so good to see you at mass. Father gave a good homily and the readings were touching as well. However, the comment you made (quite loudly) when my husband removed our two year old, "You should have removed that child an hour ago!"

Makes me believe you were focused on something else - my 2 year old. 

Here the problem with your opinion - if I removed my daughter an hour ago she wouldn't have attended mass. Frankly, shame on you for thinking the littlest of God's flock doesn't deserve to be in his presence.  

We could hang out in the cry room but that is just encouraging poor behavior. Have you been in there lately? Many parents go in there and just check out.  My experience has been kids running everywhere and no one is really engaged. However, if it’s good enough for my family, you are certainly welcome to enjoy mass from that location in the church. 

I'm trying really hard to raise good Catholic kids. I want my children to understand their faith, be active in it and be engaged. I can't wait to start this process when they are 10; it starts now. Would it be fair to her older siblings if we took your advice (she is the youngest of 4, mind you) and removed all of them from mass? Should all my children simply not attend mass until they are 18 and can behave adult like?

But wait, if I do that, I've lost all those impressionable years and then you won't see them in the pews.  

Since you’re sitting in the pew, I'm going to assume you understand that children are the fruit of marriage. They are a blessing from God and should be celebrated! What you may not realize is children come in raw form, so give us a little more time to keep molding her (patients is a virtual you know!).

Who knows, you may be looking at a future Saint!

Sincerely,

The Catholic Mom in the Trenches Sitting in Front of You

No comments:

Post a Comment